When your child/student, is feeling emotional or upset, what can we do to help?
- Be the regulator – the adult stays CALM.
- Calming voice, soothing, eye contact, be a comfort, relaxed body posture, NO yelling
- Don’t use too many words. Give the student wait time
- Model deep breathing (in through the nose, out through the mouth)
- If the student does not use words or has difficulty using their words, GIVE THEM the words “I feel frustrated!” Acknowledge the feeling, “Miss Tammy feels frustrated sometimes too. I’m sorry you’re feeling frustrated. Hmmm, what can I do to help?” Wait time. Offer choices “count to 10, take a walk, breathe with me…”
- Children of any age, need the adult to stay calm and model coping strategies. Be the calm in the child’s emotional storm.
- 15 positive statements for every negative is how we change a child’s behavior for the better.
Let’s Do it!